The Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) completed the total restoration and refurbishment of the former CN Car Shop on July 1, 2001. This historic building was built in 1906, during the railway era, and was used to do repairs on the locomotives. The brick exterior shell was repointed and the most significant feature of the building, its large round top windows, were all completely restored. The interior received new floors, electrical, ventilation, water and a new roof. An addition was also added to the building to hold the visitor information centre. The exterior was landscaped and improved to include a new waterfront parking lot aptly named the ‘Rail Yard Lot’.
This project had a cost of approximately $4 million and was carried out in conjunction with the Capital Commission of PEI (now Tourism Charlottetown and the PEI Convention Partnership) and two private sector business investors. The building is now home to Founder’s Hall, the Charlottetown Waterfront Visitor Information Centre and Coles Associates.